• HTMLTERM

From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to All on Sun Jul 16 21:43:50 2017
    Who is the mastermind behind HTML term..

it seems to have just stopped..

I would love to see HTML implemented into syncterm, or at least have syterm pull up a stripped version of webkit or someting.

I'd love to see this in operation..

Only if a broweser would make a telnet connection.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    * Synchronet * KK4QBN - kk4qbn.synchro.net - 7064229538 - Chatsworth GA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Sun Jul 16 20:15:57 2017
    Re: HTMLTERM
    By: KK4QBN to All on Sun Jul 16 2017 02:43 pm

Rick Parrish.
    https://www.ftelnet.ca
    I thought development was still fairly active.. Perhaps he's taking a break and might get back to it eventually..

I would love to see HTML implemented into syncterm, or at least have syterm pull up a stripped version of webkit or someting.

I'm not sure that really make sense.. SyncTerm is a text-mode client application, and HTMLTerm is a client for web browsers. They're two separate things. Since SyncTerm is already a text-mode client, why would you want something like HTMLTerm integrated into it?

Only if a broweser would make a telnet connection.

That's possible with HTMLTerm. So I'm not sure what you mean by this..

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Mon Jul 17 02:35:30 2017
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Sun Jul 16 2017 13:15:57

Rick Parrish.
    https://www.ftelnet.ca
    I thought development was still fairly active.. Perhaps he's taking a break and might get back to it eventually..

Sorry, was speaking of a terminal emulator that supports the html menues on 3.17

I'm not sure that really make sense.. SyncTerm is a text-mode client application, and HTMLTerm is a client for web browsers. They're two separate things. Since SyncTerm is already a text-mode client, why would you want something like HTMLTerm integrated into it?

You are mixed up with the HTML terminal I was speaking of, not a HTTP based one, a TELNET based one that served HTML text and receives commands like telnet.. I think I misworded the "htmlterm" bit.

sbbs@kk4qbn:/sbbs/exec$ ls html*
    html.bin html_noyes.js html_shell.js html.src html_who.js html_yesno.js

There should be a terminal progam in the works to support this.

That's possible with HTMLTerm. So I'm not sure what you mean by this..

You'll understand after this message :)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Deepthaw@VERT/DS94 to KK4QBN on Sun Jul 16 23:07:05 2017
    By: KK4QBN to All on Sun Jul 16 2017 02:43 pm

Do you mean the embedded HTML telnet client that is in ecweb?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Deep Space '94 - deepspace94.com - The Best 1994 Had to Offer
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Mon Jul 17 00:46:14 2017
    By: KK4QBN to Nightfox on Sun Jul 16 2017 07:35 pm

Sorry, was speaking of a terminal emulator that supports the html menues on 3.17

You are mixed up with the HTML terminal I was speaking of, not a HTTP based one, a TELNET based one that served HTML text and receives commands like telnet.. I think I misworded the "htmlterm" bit.

sbbs@kk4qbn:/sbbs/exec$ ls html*
    html.bin html_noyes.js html_shell.js html.src html_who.js html_yesno.js

There should be a terminal progam in the works to support this.

Ah.. I'm still not sure what "HTML menus" refers to, but I have not heard about this or looked into this. I saw a comment in the code referring to an "HTML terminal" that Deuce was working on, but I'm not sure what that is..

Nightfox

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Deepthaw on Tue Jul 18 00:00:03 2017
    By: Deepthaw to KK4QBN on Sun Jul 16 2017 16:07:05

Do you mean the embedded HTML telnet client that is in ecweb?

NO, an actual telnet terminalthat supports HTML.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Tue Jul 18 00:01:51 2017
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Sun Jul 16 2017 17:46:14

Ah.. I'm still not sure what "HTML menus" refers to, but I have not heard about this or looked into this. I saw a comment in the code referring to an "HTML terminal" that Deuce was working on, but I'm not sure what that is..

Nightfox

Thats more than likely it. the terminal is send HTML vial the JS scripts and then shown via telnet.. html over telnet, not web.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Tue Jul 18 00:27:18 2017
    By: KK4QBN to Nightfox on Mon Jul 17 2017 05:01 pm

Ah.. I'm still not sure what "HTML menus" refers to, but I have not
    heard about this or looked into this. I saw a comment in the code
    referring to an "HTML terminal" that Deuce was working on, but I'm
    not sure what that is..

Thats more than likely it. the terminal is send HTML vial the JS scripts and then shown via telnet.. html over telnet, not web.

That's an interesting idea, although I'm wondering why not just use the web interface with a web browser? I'm not sure what the advantage would be of a telnet client able to parse/render HTML.

Nightfox

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Jul 18 04:30:37 2017
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Mon Jul 17 2017 05:27 pm

That's an interesting idea, although I'm wondering why not just use the web interface with a web browser? I'm not sure what the advantage would be of a telnet client able to parse/render HTML.

pretty sure it was an exercise.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Tue Jul 18 19:28:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to KK4QBN <=-

That's an interesting idea, although I'm wondering why not just use the web interface with a web browser? I'm not sure what the advantage
    would be of a telnet client able to parse/render HTML.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the advantages either, but what I would like is to be able to strip HTML from incoming messages in selected areas (specigically, a gated mailing list). Simply selecting the text/plain MIME part is apparently not the answer, I would like to be able to strip the HTML on messages that come from a specific mailing list. In this instance, the HTML probably adds no benefit, so simply stripping it is enough.

Thinking about this further, this could be part of an email pre-processor that strips HTML according to user or sysop preferences (i.e. by email address). Good for those who use BBS tools for their email on Synchronet. Having it optional would allow those of us who use POP clients to receive the HTML as it was intended.

Is there any such beast around in JS that will run on Synchronet already?

... If the British can survive their meals, they can survive anything.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Tue Jul 18 03:46:11 2017
    Re: Re: HTMLTERM
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Tue Jul 18 2017 12:28 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure of the advantages either, but what I would like is to be able to strip HTML from incoming messages in selected areas (specigically, a gated mailing list). Simply selecting the text/plain MIME part is apparently not the answer, I would like to be able to strip the HTML on messages that come from a specific mailing list. In this instance, the HTML probably adds no benefit, so simply stripping it is enough.

Thinking about this further, this could be part of an email pre-processor that strips HTML according to user or sysop preferences (i.e. by email address). Good for those who use BBS tools for their email on Synchronet. Having it optional would allow those of us who use POP clients to receive the HTML as it was intended.

I've actually thought about having something like that too.. I've received some emails like that, but not in a while, so I haven't thought much about that lately.. But I agree it would be useful to have.

Nightfox

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Vk3jed on Tue Jul 18 05:33:24 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Tue Jul 18 2017 12:28 pm

Nightfox wrote to KK4QBN <=-

Sort of. There's exec/typehtml.js (for example), which converts HTML files into Ctrl-A format so that it can be displayed to a BBS terminal/client (usually ANSI).

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #26:
    FTSC = FidoNet Technical Standards Committee
    Norco, CA WX: 69.7øF, 81.0% humidity, 2 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wed Jul 19 02:40:00 2017
    Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I've actually thought about having something like that too.. I've received some emails like that, but not in a while, so I haven't
    thought much about that lately.. But I agree it would be useful to
    have.

Asking here to avoid reinventing the wheel (and needing to become fluent in Javascript in a hurry lol).

... Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Digital Man on Wed Jul 19 02:47:00 2017
    Digital Man wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Sort of. There's exec/typehtml.js (for example), which converts HTML
    files into Ctrl-A format so that it can be displayed to a BBS terminal/client (usually ANSI).

That sounds useful. Wouuld it be possible to inser that between ListGate and when the message is posted to the sub on the BBS?

I.e., the flow would be mailing list -> ListGate -> typehtml.js -> SBBS. And hopefully it would pass plain text unaltered.

... DISK ERROR: DISK ERROR: DISK ERROR: @$%#&%!! *WHACK* C:\>
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Vk3jed on Tue Jul 18 18:52:39 2017
    By: Vk3jed to Digital Man on Tue Jul 18 2017 07:47 pm

Sort of. There's exec/typehtml.js (for example), which converts HTML files into Ctrl-A format so that it can be displayed to a BBS terminal/client (usually ANSI).

That sounds useful. Wouuld it be possible to inser that between ListGate and when the message is posted to the sub on the BBS?

I.e., the flow would be mailing list -> ListGate -> typehtml.js -> SBBS.
    And hopefully it would pass plain text unaltered.

listgate.js is only for exporting messages (SMB -> list via SMTP).

Messages imported from lists (via SMTP), just use the alias.cfg feature of the the Synchronet Mail Server. To modify messages received by the mail server, you can use an "external mail processor" (see ctrl/mailproc.ini and exec/mailproc_example.js). You could have a mail processor that only acts on listserv messages and converts HTML->bare ASCII (or Ctrl-A or whatever you like). In this scenario, you wouldn't use typehtml.js, but rather the load/html2asc.js library which is used by typehtml.js.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #64:
    Synchronet PCMS (introduced w/v2.0) is Programmable Command and Menu Structure. Norco, CA WX: 84.2øF, 51.0% humidity, 4 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Digital Man on Wed Jul 19 16:20:00 2017

Messages imported from lists (via SMTP), just use the alias.cfg feature
    of the the Synchronet Mail Server. To modify messages received by the
    mail server, you can use an "external mail processor" (see ctrl/mailproc.ini and exec/mailproc_example.js). You could have a mail processor that only acts on listserv messages and converts HTML->bare ASCII (or Ctrl-A or whatever you like). In this scenario, you wouldn't
    use typehtml.js, but rather the load/html2asc.js library which is used
    by typehtml.js.

Thanks for that, explains how it works. Anyway, looks like I'll have to do a bit of study on this one. :)

... You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Jul 19 18:22:31 2017
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Mon Jul 17 2017 17:27:18

Maybe thats why the idea was killed off, or has'nt been updated? it's all in CVS, unless I'm thinking wrong, these appear to be JS that send HTML code over a TERMINAL connection.. eg HTML_yes_no.js, etc..

-rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 37 May 15 17:59 html.bin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 1113 Jul 29 2007 html_noyes.js
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 26749 Feb 20 2008 html_shell.js
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 111 Jul 27 2007 html.src
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 2223 Jul 28 2007 html_who.js
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sbbs sbbs 1113 Jul 29 2007 html_yesno.js

yea.. 2007 was the last time they were fooled with... I guess this was before html became more "interactive" beats me.. I thought it would have been cool..

maybe it was'nt even what I though it was going to be, but it appears to be a dupilicate of the generic synchronet system that outputs html formatted text instead of regular text. the html.bin detects whether they have the HTML terminal, if does it sends to html_shell.js if not it sends them to default.js.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Wed Jul 19 16:41:48 2017
    By: KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Jul 19 2017 11:22 am

yea.. 2007 was the last time they were fooled with... I guess this was before html became more "interactive" beats me.. I thought it would have been cool..

maybe it was'nt even what I though it was going to be, but it appears to be a dupilicate of the generic synchronet system that outputs html formatted text instead of regular text. the html.bin detects whether they have the HTML terminal, if does it sends to html_shell.js if not it sends them to default.js.

There's a lot of ways HTML can format text - I think much more so than text client can render.. A text client for BBSing (from what I've seen) typically doesn't do things like italics, underline, fonts and font sizes, frames, etc.. There's a lot of HTML formatting that would just have to be ignored to display it in a BBS text client. Text colors specified in HTML and CSS could probably be used to some extent, and breaking up paragraphs (with the HTML <P> tag), etc., but I think it would be fairly limited.

Nightfox

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Jul 19 21:35:19 2017
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Wed Jul 19 2017 09:41:48

There's a lot of ways HTML can format text - I think much more so than text client can render.. A text client for BBSing (from what I've seen) typically doesn't do things like italics, underline, fonts and font sizes, frames, etc.. There's a lot of HTML formatting that would just have to be ignored to display it in a BBS text client. Text colors specified in HTML and CSS could probably be used to some extent, and breaking up paragraphs (with the HTML <P> tag), etc., but I think it would be fairly limited.

from what I read in the JS source, etc.. the html is fairly limited.. so really.. it would have been an HTML type terminal "I'm guessing something that would be kin to RIP" that would be interactive, display jpgs, or pngs, and thats about it.. no CSS and all that crap.. just base HTML, use PNGS instead of ANSI for command display, and prompts were html output also.. ive also noticed this built into login/logon.js am I just tripping or what? or is this for text formatting in HTMLterm on the web? because afaik thats not needed.

please remember.. I was gone for about 10 years of development. so I missed a good bit..

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---