• FreeBSD

From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to All on Mon Nov 4 09:59:00 2019
    Just so happens on the newsfeed on my phone this morning. There is a blog called Admin...by accident. It's written by Albertvalbuena.

The title is Linux VS open source unix. He goes into and pretty in-depth article abd the differences and similarities and what they use to make them different.

He used feature name linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, TrustedBsd, NetBSD and Illumos.

It's fairly long but it was interesting.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net
    ... Dumb luck beats sound planning every time. Trust me.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Dark Matter BBS * darkmatt.synchro.net * Howdy from Texas!
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Grease on Mon Nov 4 16:13:44 2019
    Re: FreeBSD
    By: Grease to All on Mon Nov 04 2019 09:59 am

He used feature name linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, TrustedBsd, NetBSD and Illumos.

Funny, I ran into the same article on hacker news. I remember when Linux was considered "UNIX-like", now I suppose everything else is "Linux-like".

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Nov 5 09:35:46 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Grease on Mon Nov 04 2019 04:13 pm

By: Grease to All on Mon Nov 04 2019 09:59 am

Funny, I ran into the same article on hacker news. I remember when Linux was considered "UNIX-like", now I suppose everything else is "Linux-like".

Now windows has linux in it, and OS/2 had Windows in it. Lines are getting blurred all the time.

Grease
    darkmatt.synchro.net

--- It's physically impossible to lick your elbow.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ @GDark Matter BBS @R* @Ydarkmatt.synchro.net @R* @CHowdy from Texas!
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Grease on Wed Nov 6 10:00:54 2019
    By: Grease to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Nov 05 2019 09:35 am

Now windows has linux in it, and OS/2 had Windows in it. Lines are getting blurred all the time.

I'm not sure if the graphical interface works in the Linux that's in Windows now, but if so, it might be fun to try to run a Windows app on Wine on the Linux subsystem in Windows.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Grease@VERT/DARKMATT to Nightfox on Wed Nov 6 14:52:17 2019
    By: Nightfox to Grease on Wed Nov 06 2019 10:00 am

I'm not sure if the graphical interface works in the Linux that's in Windows now, but if so, it might be fun to try to run a Windows app on Wine on the Linux subsystem in Windows.

We have now officially entered the Matrix.

@Y Grease
    @C darkmatt.synchro.net

...There's only one place in the world called Earth. In Texas

Grease

... Chuck Norris knows the last digit of pi.

---
    þ Synchronet þ @GDark Matter BBS @R* @Ydarkmatt.synchro.net @R* @CHowdy from Texas!
  • From Hemo@VERT/UJOINT to Nightfox on Wed Nov 6 20:53:57 2019
    By: Nightfox to Grease on Wed Nov 06 2019 10:00 am

Now windows has linux in it, and OS/2 had Windows in it. Lines are
    getting blurred all the time.

I've not tried installing a 'native' X11 desktop to the Ubuntu inside Windows 10 just due to the sheer size of additional packages I would need, but I can run linux 'graphical' interface program in the Ubuntu subsystem that will display to the X-Ming X desktop program I run on Windows.

The Ubuntu subsytem in Windows 10 will not install the 'wine' pacakge, but I've not tried installing CrossOver from CodeWeavers. Sounds like a 'hold my beer' moment.
    --
    H

... Scepticism is the beginning of faith.

---
    þ Synchronet þ - Running madly into the wind and screaming - bbs.ujoint.org