• Xubuntu

From Heliarc@VERT/HAVENS to All on Sat Sep 6 13:31:11 2014
    I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At first I ran a dual boot system but now the machine is a dedicated Xubuntu PC. Anyone else in BBS land use Xubuntu? I see some Mint chit chat along with some others but nothing about any of the Ubuntu family of distros. I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks

Heliarc

---
    þ Synchronet þ HAVENS BBS - hbbs.no-ip.org
  • From Psi-Jack@VERT/DECKHVN2 to Heliarc on Wed Sep 10 02:38:27 2014
    Re: Xubuntu
    By: Heliarc to All on Sat Sep 06 2014 06:31 am

I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At first
    I ran a dual boot system but now the machine is a dedicated Xubuntu PC. Anyone else in BBS land use Xubuntu? I see some Mint chit chat along
    with some others but nothing about any of the Ubuntu family of distros.
    I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks

Well, Xubuntu is not bad. Are you planning to run a BBS along side with actually using it as a desktop, or a dedicated BBS? If dedicated then I wouldn't recommend it.

DOSEMU, if you plan to run doors on that, provided by Ubuntu's repos also has some issues, so you would be better of personally compiling it yourself or re-bundling a new deb package based on their repos, but with a newer version, which fixes a lot of issues in things, along with speed, random wierdness, extra random keystrokes, etc..

Really just overall depends on what you intend to do. I personally, have a VM running my BBS, dedicated in that mannor.
    [Psi-Jack -//- Decker]

---
    þ Synchronet þ Decker's Heaven -//- bbs.deckersheaven.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Heliarc on Wed Sep 10 04:40:35 2014

I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At first I ran a dual boot system but now the machine is a dedicated Xubuntu PC.
    Anyone else in BBS land use Xubuntu? I see some Mint chit chat along with some others but nothing about any of the Ubuntu family of distros. I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks

yeah, i've played with it. it's fine.

i prefer just the cli with linux, though
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Heliarc on Wed Sep 10 16:36:35 2014

I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At first
    I ran a dual boot system but now the machine is a dedicated Xubuntu PC. Anyone else in BBS land use Xubuntu?

I go back and forth between Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I like them both, but am leaning towards the streamlined look/feel/apps in Lubuntu. I have a couple of low-end systems and Lubuntu works like a charm.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Psi-Jack on Wed Sep 10 16:38:02 2014
    By: Psi-Jack to Heliarc on Tue Sep 09 2014 07:38 pm

Well, Xubuntu is not bad. Are you planning to run a BBS along side with actually using it as a desktop, or a dedicated BBS? If dedicated then I wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure what problems Xubuntu would have that couldn't be solved by downloading some dependencies.

I'm playing with Ubuntu server and twm for basic windowing; all I need out of a WM is being able to open/size/move xterm windows.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Psi-Jack@VERT/DECKHVN2 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Sep 10 22:03:03 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Psi-Jack on Wed Sep 10 2014 09:38 am

By: Psi-Jack to Heliarc on Tue Sep 09 2014 07:38 pm

Well, Xubuntu is not bad. Are you planning to run a BBS along side
    with actually using it as a desktop, or a dedicated BBS? If
    dedicated then I wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure what problems Xubuntu would have that couldn't be solved by downloading some dependencies.

It's in DOSEMU specific things. Bugs that just keep crawling out of the woodwork after uptime continues to be constantly growing. Nothing at all to do with dependancies. Just buggy, barely maintained software anymore that is also not even properly maintained by Debian or Ubuntu packagers either. >>>[Psi-Jack -//- Decker]

---
  • From art@VERT/FATCATS to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Sep 11 06:16:36 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Psi-Jack on Wed Sep 10 2014 09:38:02

Ahoy, PF!

I'm playing with Ubuntu server and twm for basic windowing; all I need out of a WM is being able to open/size/move xterm windows.

You should try a window manager I forked and have been working on (only a little). It open/resizes/moves, has virtual desktops, but that's about it. Very minimal (read: shitty), but I find it great fun. Runs on anything and requires almost nothing by way of dependencies (xlib).

https://gitorious.org/w9wm-arfonzo/pages/Home

Yeah, it's a w9wm fork, so you have been warned. :D

Kind regards,

art@fatcatsbbsdotcom

"You swear well, Picard. You must have Klingon blood in your veins."
    -- Governor Vagh in ST:TNG "The Minds Eye"

---
    þ Synchronet þ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com
  • From Heliarc@VERT/HAVENS to Poindexter Fortran on Thu Sep 11 17:46:18 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Heliarc on Wed Sep 10 2014 09:36 am

I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At

I go back and forth between Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I like them both, but am leaning towards the streamlined look/feel/apps in Lubuntu. I have a couple of low-end systems and Lubuntu works like a charm.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I put the question out there about Xubuntu because a guy could get dizzy reading distrowatch. It's impossible to run all the versions of linux out there. I'm sure as time goes by soemthing will rub me wrong with Xubuntu and I'll be searching for another OS. ;-) For know it's running great and I'm happy to say farewell to Windows.

Heliarc

---
    þ Synchronet þ HAVENS BBS - hbbs.no-ip.org
  • From physalis17@VERT/DECKHVN2 to Heliarc on Wed Nov 12 15:36:12 2014

I've looked at many linux distros and have decided on Xubuntu. At first I ra
    n a
    dual boot system but now the machine is a dedicated Xubuntu PC. Anyone else
    in
    BBS land use Xubuntu? I see some Mint chit chat along with some others but nothing about any of the Ubuntu family of distros. I would appreciate any in
    put
    on the subject. Thanks

Heliarc

I run Xubuntu exclusively. I have tried many different distros including Slackware. I wind up going back to Ubuntu,but I absolutely hate Unity.
    Xubuntu has been wonderful being so light since most of the stuff I do is terminal based. I am running it on a Thinkpad R60. I love Linux because it respects the old ways of computing giving. ie: users have the same power and control whether they prefer CLI or GUI.

---