• Ubuntu 15 install issue

From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to All on Sun Feb 7 23:20:00 2016
    Has anybody installed Ubuntu 15.10 from the ubuntu-15.10-server-amd54.iso? I've burned the iso to a USB stick and attempted to install it from there.

I'm installing onto an older Acer Aspire PC that has a 1.6gh Intel ATOM processor with 4GB of ram and 500GB HDD.

I can boot into the install process. The first screen is a VGA screen to select the language. So I select the Language and hit enter and it takes me
    to another menu with a few options. I select the option to "install Ubuntu", it then boots into a dialog window where it again wants me to select the language. At this point, I have no keyboard or mouse input at all. I can go no further. I can't tell if it is just waiting for input that I can't seem
    to give it, or that the machine is locked up.

Has anybody had this issue? I'm wondering if I should install a different version.

Thanks in advance.

--- Mystic BBS v1.11 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Gryphon on Mon Feb 8 01:33:19 2016
    Hello Gryphon,

On 07 Feb 16 15:20, Gryphon wrote to All:

Has anybody installed Ubuntu 15.10 from the
    ubuntu-15.10-server-amd54.iso? I've burned the iso to a USB stick and attempted to install it from there.

I'm installing onto an older Acer Aspire PC that has a 1.6gh Intel
    ATOM processor with 4GB of ram and 500GB HDD.

I can boot into the install process. The first screen is a VGA screen
    to select the language. So I select the Language and hit enter and it takes me to another menu with a few options. I select the option to "install Ubuntu", it then boots into a dialog window where it again
    wants me to select the language. At this point, I have no keyboard or mouse input at all. I can go no further. I can't tell if it is just waiting for input that I can't seem to give it, or that the machine is locked up.

Has anybody had this issue? I'm wondering if I should install a
    different version.

It may just very well be a badly burned image? If not, you may want to take a look and see if 15.10 supports UEFI, and if you have to disable it somehow, since I'm fairly sure your ATOM processor doesn't handle UEFI boots. Possibly adding "no_uefi" or something to the boot command line would help?

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20160201
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From g00r00@VERT/CYBERIA to Gryphon on Tue Feb 9 03:32:00 2016
    Has anybody had this issue? I'm wondering if I should install a
    different version.

I personally only bother with the LTS versions. I think 16.04 LTS is due to
    be released in 2 months, so I'm waiting for that to upgrade from 14.04 LTS.

If you don't want to wait 14.04 has always worked well for me, but I think you may need 16.04 for the newer Linux kernal to better support all of the nano processors.

The support from the community is always stronger for the LTS versions too.

Hope you get it fixed.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org |
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to g00r00 on Tue Feb 9 04:41:00 2016
    On 02/08/16, g00r00 said the following...

Has anybody had this issue? I'm wondering if I should install a different version.

I personally only bother with the LTS versions. I think 16.04 LTS is
    due to be released in 2 months, so I'm waiting for that to upgrade from 14.04 LTS.

I've got 14.04 LTS on my ODROID desktop and it works well. But if 16.04 is
    on its way out, I'll just wait.

I started my first day at my new job today. One of my tasks was to install Ubuntu 14.04 and configure it as a workstation. Tomorrow I'm installing RHEL 6.4 workstation. They told me I could bring my thumb drive in to work and
    see if I can install it there. I guess I'll have another chance to see if my install media works on a separate piece of hardware.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cybe
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to g00r00 on Tue Feb 9 14:33:21 2016
    Re: Re: Ubuntu 15 install issue
    By: g00r00 to Gryphon on Mon Feb 08 2016 07:32 pm

I personally only bother with the LTS versions. I think 16.04 LTS is due to be released in 2 months, so I'm waiting for that to upgrade from 14.04 LTS.

Ditto. There's some app churn within the minor versions, I prefer hopping from LTS version to LTS version.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From g00r00@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Feb 14 10:59:00 2016
    I personally only bother with the LTS versions. I think 16.04 LTS is to be released in 2 months, so I'm waiting for that to upgrade from 1 LTS.

Ditto. There's some app churn within the minor versions, I prefer
    hopping from LTS version to LTS version.

Agreed. And its not like the LTS versions take an outrageous amount of time. At least it doesn't seem that long ago that 14.04 LTS was released.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From tracker1@VERT/TRNTEST to g00r00 on Mon Feb 15 07:06:38 2016
    Agreed. And its not like the LTS versions take an outrageous amount of
    time. At least it doesn't seem that long ago that 14.04 LTS was released.

Nearly 2 years.. how long it feels like depends on where your interests lie, or what you're playing with... I don't think the hardware my HTPC uses would work very well under 14.04, newer hardware, newer drivers, etc... just depends.

Nice to see you active again btw.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1(at)gmail.com
    +o Roughneck BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ RoughneckBBS - http://www.roughneckbbs.com/
  • From g00r00@VERT/CYBERIA to tracker1 on Tue Feb 16 08:40:00 2016
    Nearly 2 years.. how long it feels like depends on where your interests lie, or what you're playing with... I don't think the hardware my HTPC uses would work very well under 14.04, newer hardware, newer drivers, etc... just depends.

Good point. I don't have any of the newer chips that aren't well supported
    in 14.04 kernel so its never really been an issue for me. Although I am looking in that direction for something to put my BBS on.

Nice to see you active again btw.

In DoveNet? I've been meaning to reconnect my BBS to it at some point, but
    for now I just pop on Gryphon's BBS from time to time.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, T
  • From Kd8bxp@VERT/C-57D to Gryphon on Mon Feb 29 06:55:40 2016
    Re: Ubuntu 15 install issue
    By: Gryphon to All on Sun Feb 07 2016 03:20 pm

Has anybody installed Ubuntu 15.10 from the ubuntu-15.10-server-amd54.iso? I've burned the iso to a USB stick and attempted to install it from there.

I'm installing onto an older Acer Aspire PC that has a 1.6gh Intel ATOM processor with 4GB of ram and 500GB HDD.

You have the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 15.10, while I bet that an older ATOM based machine is 32-bit machine.
    Try the i386 version and see if that doesn't fix the issue.

---
    þ Synchronet þ C-57D - c-57d.duckdns.org