• Dual boot on Windows 10

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Wed Dec 21 14:40:48 2016
    I tried to dual boot my Windows 10 laptop with Mint, and the installer doesn't see the Windows partition to be able to install on it. Any suggestions on how to get the installer to see an existing Windows 10 partition?

... What do you think management's real interests are?

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Dec 23 05:57:12 2016
    Re: Dual boot on Windows 10
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Wed Dec 21 2016 06:40 am

I tried to dual boot my Windows 10 laptop with Mint, and the installer doesn't see the Windows partition to be able to install on it. Any suggestions on how to get the installer to see an existing Windows 10 partition?

you'll have to go into bios setting and pull up eufi (I believe it is) settings.. its a bit different dual booting a win 10 machine, first off, you will have to shrink the size of disk space needed in windows 10 (google is your friend) because windows 10 wants your WHOLE disk, I made the mistake of installing a linux distro without doing this and borked my whole system. you really need to do some reading on this toping before doing it, its nothing like it used to be. since MS now has a ubuntu sub system in windows, it seems they fhing you don't have a need for any other operating system. although its still doable like this, you might want to think about running a virtual machine, or the route I went was just ditching 10 all together was getting sick of the crashes. everytime it would update I would get a new crash.. and i *LOVED* 10

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From Ralph Smole@VERT/NIMBUS to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Dec 23 02:19:53 2016
    Re: Dual boot on Windows 10
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Wed Dec 21 2016 06:40 am

I tried to dual boot my Windows 10 laptop with Mint, and the installer doesn see the Windows partition to be able to install on it. Any suggestions on ho to get the installer to see an existing Windows 10 partition?
    First thing to do is shrink your Windows partition before running the install. Then during the install choose the SOMETHING ELSE option,this will then allow you to create a Linux partition and swap partition.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nimbus BBS - nimbus.synchro.net