• Synchronet bbs list

From Lesser Keys@VERT/STARR to All on Mon Oct 7 21:01:22 2013
    My synchronet bbs list is not synchronizing any more. I upgraded but I don't have it installed on a unix/linux server. I am running it on xp. Is there something I need to run or do to fix this issue. I have tried looking around but all I was able to find was a post about it on fidonet.
    Solomon's Temple * telnet (wm.myftp.org)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Solomon's Temple *telnet://wm.myftp.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Lesser Keys on Tue Oct 8 08:06:15 2013
    Re: Synchronet bbs list
    By: Lesser Keys to All on Mon Oct 07 2013 02:01 pm

My synchronet bbs list is not synchronizing any more. I upgraded but I
    don't have it installed on a unix/linux server. I am running it on xp. Is there something I need to run or do to fix this issue. I have tried looking around but all I was able to find was a post about it on fidonet.

Can you be more specific? Do you mean that you're not seeing BBSing being *imported* from the DOVE-Net or FidoNet, or you're not seeing your BBS being exported to other BBSes, or both?

Do you have the SYNCDATA echo on your BBS? Have you checked that it contains messages? Have you checked that it contains messages being posted via SBL2SMB (timed event) which have your BBS details in them?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #80:
    Vertrauen has had the FidoNet node number 1:103/705 since 1992.
    Norco, CA WX: 60.5øF, 56.0% humidity, 0 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Lesser Keys@VERT/STARR to Digital Man on Wed Oct 9 13:36:29 2013
    By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Tue Oct 08 2013 01:06 am

Can you be more specific? Do you mean that you're not seeing BBSing being *imported* from the DOVE-Net or FidoNet, or you're not seeing your BBS being exported to other BBSes, or both?

It's both! My brother went to your bbs to ad our bbs to the bbs list. Little did I know he had a type-o in the telnet address so I had to make a new entry. It was the only way to fix my bbs not showing up on the list.
    Do you have the SYNCDATA echo on your BBS? Have you checked that it contains messages? Have you checked that it contains messages being posted via SBL2SMB (timed event) which have your BBS details in them?

I have looked at the sbl2smb event but did not think to check syncdata. It's also causing problems with the interbbs message module not importing the bbs list! (well because there isn't one, the bbs listing door isn't importing them) At least that's what I assume the case is, I maybe wrong though.

I appreciate you considering to take the time to help me with this. I am going to check both syncdata and sbl2smb, thanks.

I am looking for sbl2smb event, not really seeing anything about my bbs anywere I also found a file in sbbs/data call smb25mm and iside the text document it states the following: c:\sbbs\data\subs\syndata is empty. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place lol.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 9 01:17:35 2013
    By: Lesser Keys to Digital Man on Wed Oct 09 2013 06:36 am

By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Tue Oct 08 2013 01:06 am

It's both! My brother went to your bbs to ad our bbs to the bbs list.
    Little did I know he had a type-o in the telnet address so I had to make a new entry. It was the only way to fix my bbs not showing up on the list.

I have looked at the sbl2smb event but did not think to check syncdata.
    It's also causing problems with the interbbs message module not importing the bbs list! (well because there isn't one, the bbs listing door isn't importing them) At least that's what I assume the case is, I maybe wrong though.

No, they're unrelated. You should have a timed event called "GETIMLIST" or something like that which ftp's the sbbsimsg.lst file from Vertrauen daily.

I appreciate you considering to take the time to help me with this. I am going to check both syncdata and sbl2smb, thanks.

I am looking for sbl2smb event, not really seeing anything about my bbs anywere

Do you have the SB2SMB and SMB2SBL events configured in SCFG->External Programs->Timed Events? They're in there in a stock install, so unless you removed them, they should still be there.

I also found a file in sbbs/data call smb25mm and iside the text
    document it states the following: c:\sbbs\data\subs\syndata is empty. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place lol.

I don't really understand what you're saying. If you go in sbbs/data/subs, you should find somefiles which contain "SYNCDATA" in the filename. You can use the
    "smbutil" program to view this message base or you can logon to your BBS via Telent and read the message (provided you've given yourself access to read the messages base in SCFG->Message Areas).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #16:
    "Vertrauen" (ver-trow-en) translates to "trust" in German, and was a band name. Norco, CA WX: 63.5øF, 69.0% humidity, 15 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Lesser Keys@VERT/STARR to Digital Man on Wed Oct 9 20:27:16 2013
    By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Tue Oct 08 2013 06:17 pm

No, they're unrelated. You should have a timed event called "GETIMLIST" or
    something like that which ftp's the sbbsimsg.lst file from Vertrauen daily.

Do you have the SB2SMB and SMB2SBL events configured in SCFG->External Programs->Timed Events? They're in there in a stock install, so unless you
    removed them, they should still be there.

Yes, they are all in there. I haven't really changed anything in that area at all.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 9 08:11:34 2013
    By: Lesser Keys to Digital Man on Wed Oct 09 2013 01:27 pm

By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Tue Oct 08 2013 06:17 pm

No, they're unrelated. You should have a timed event called
    "GETIMLIST" or
    something like that which ftp's the sbbsimsg.lst file from Vertrauen daily.

Do you have the SB2SMB and SMB2SBL events configured in SCFG->External Programs->Timed Events? They're in there in a stock install, so unless you
    removed them, they should still be there.

Yes, they are all in there. I haven't really changed anything in that area at all.

Did you check the SYNCDATA sub-board?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #22:
    The third ever Synchronet BBS was The Beast's Domain (sysop: King Drafus). Norco, CA WX: 59.1øF, 70.0% humidity, 5 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Lesser Keys@VERT/STARR to Digital Man on Wed Oct 9 23:35:48 2013
    By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 09 2013 01:11 am

digital man

Honestly I don't know what that is. I looked through scfg and didn't see anything relating to that. I did however, see a sub directory \sbbs\data\subs and it seemed in tact. So to answer your question honestly, I probably didn't. I have no idea what that is.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Lesser Keys on Thu Oct 10 04:35:31 2013
    By: Lesser Keys to Digital Man on Wed Oct 09 2013 04:35 pm

By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 09 2013 01:11 am

digital man

Honestly I don't know what that is. I looked through scfg and didn't see anything relating to that. I did however, see a sub directory \sbbs\data\subs and it seemed in tact. So to answer your question honestly, I probably didn't. I have no idea what that is.

It's a networked sub-board with an internal code of "SYNCDATA". SYNCDATA is carried on both DOVE-Net (http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net) and FidoNet. Have you read xtrn/sbl/sbl.doc?

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #63:
    Synchronet PCMS (introduced w/v2.0) is Programmable Command and Menu Structure. Norco, CA WX: 50.7øF, 88.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.10 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/DSORROW to Digital Man on Thu Oct 10 08:18:00 2013
    It's a networked sub-board with an internal code of "SYNCDATA". SYNCDATA is carried on both DOVE-Net (http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net)
    and FidoNet. Have you read xtrn/sbl/sbl.doc?

Other terms for "sub-board" may be better understood as well. Message area, base, or echo (since it's networked), comes to mind. It took some time
    getting used to that for me as well, as none of the BBS softwares I used
    prior to Synchronet used "sub-board" to describe a message base. *shrug*

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Dark Sorrow | telnet://bbs.darksorrow.us
  • From Lesser Keys@VERT/STARR to Digital Man on Thu Oct 10 09:54:42 2013
    By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 09 2013 10:35 pm

FidoNet. Have you read xtrn/sbl/sbl.doc?

I have went through as many documents as I have time for. I remember thumbing through them. I think I need to go back tonight (after my math class lets out) and go through that document really thorough. The documentation is pretty lengthy, so sometimes I find myself just breezing through some of it. Probably a bad idea.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Access Denied on Thu Oct 10 22:33:21 2013
    Re: Re: Synchronet bbs list
    By: Access Denied to Digital Man on Thu Oct 10 2013 01:18 am

It's a networked sub-board with an internal code of "SYNCDATA". SYNCDATA is carried on both DOVE-Net (http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net) and FidoNet. Have you read xtrn/sbl/sbl.doc?

Other terms for "sub-board" may be better understood as well. Message area, base, or echo (since it's networked), comes to mind. It took some time getting used to that for me as well, as none of the BBS softwares I used prior to Synchronet used "sub-board" to describe a message base. *shrug*

http://synchro.net/docs/glossary.html

I didn't invent the term, it was used by WWIV and its derivations (Renegade, Telegard) before. And I seem to recall others using it as well (Forum hacks?).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #28:
    Rob Swindell first called BBSes (at 300bps) with an Apple II computer in 1982. Norco, CA WX: 65.7øF, 48.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.08 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Lesser Keys on Thu Oct 10 22:33:58 2013
    By: Lesser Keys to Digital Man on Thu Oct 10 2013 02:54 am

By: Digital Man to Lesser Keys on Wed Oct 09 2013 10:35 pm

FidoNet. Have you read xtrn/sbl/sbl.doc?

I have went through as many documents as I have time for. I remember thumbing through them. I think I need to go back tonight (after my math class lets out) and go through that document really thorough. The documentation is pretty lengthy, so sometimes I find myself just breezing through some of it. Probably a bad idea.

Since you're having a problem with SBL, that should be the place to start. It's
    not a lenghty document.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #11:
    Synchronet was the first BBS software to ship with built-in RIPscrip support. Norco, CA WX: 65.7øF, 48.0% humidity, 0 mph SSE wind, 0.08 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/DSORROW to Digital Man on Fri Oct 11 19:24:00 2013
    Other terms for "sub-board" may be better understood as well. Message base, or echo (since it's networked), comes to mind. It took some time getting used to that for me as well, as none of the BBS softwares I us prior to Synchronet used "sub-board" to describe a message base. *shru

http://synchro.net/docs/glossary.html

I didn't invent the term, it was used by WWIV and its derivations (Renegade, Telegard) before. And I seem to recall others using it as
    well (Forum hacks?).

I wasn't blaming you for anything, or saying you were wrong at all. Just
    going by past experience, "sub-board" was definitely not one of the main
    terms.

It has been a long time since I've used Renegade, or forum hacks (obv/2, iniquity, impulse, vision-x and v/2, etc, but I remember them using "message base" more than I can ever remember "sub-board" being used.

Either way, I was only trying to help explain it to the other guy by using terms he may have been more familiar with, is all. Doesn't seem like it
    worked anyways. :)

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Dark Sorrow | teln
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Access Denied on Sat Oct 12 01:35:07 2013
    Re: Re: Synchronet bbs list
    By: Access Denied to Digital Man on Fri Oct 11 2013 12:24 pm

iniquity, impulse, vision-x and v/2, etc, but I remember them using
    "message base" more than I can ever remember "sub-board" being used.

Either way, I was only trying to help explain it to the other guy by using terms he may have been more familiar with, is all. Doesn't seem like it worked anyways. :)

dont forget message conferences!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::