• Daily Life

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Jul 6 14:32:52 2024
    Well I'm working adding some new nodes today.

Earlier I was out with my wife and she's into op shopping so I drove around a bunch of second hand shops while she was hunting out some uranium glass..
    it's stuff that glows under UV light that she's into at the moment.

It's winter over here in NZ so have been lugging in fire wood and getting the wood burner started a little earlier today as it's been cold! The city (Dunedin) is busy as we have an international rugby test match tonight at our stadium... All Blacks vs England... so a number of visitors to the city this weekend.. busy times.

Figured I'd post a 'hello' here as I've been a little quiet lately in my posting efforts but do keep an eye on the echos and still busy with fsxNet admin duties etc.

Thanks to Deon and Todd for all their efforts to keep NETs 3 and 2 ticking along - appreciate it guys :)

..and a general thanks to you for reading / taking the time to post in fsxNet. It's always nice to read echomail from around the planet and see who's up to what etc.

The recent food thread was massive, much like the lunch I had <-- bad Dad joke :)

Best, Paul

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Sat Jul 6 19:21:00 2024
    Earlier I was out with my wife and she's into op shopping so I drove around a bunch of second hand shops while she was hunting out some
    uranium glass.. it's stuff that glows under UV light that she's
    into at the moment.

You need to be a bit careful with that stuff. A lot of it is pretty low
    level, but some of it is pretty radioactive. She got you running around
    with the black light torch yet? I don't know any way to tell the more from less radioactive pieces.

On a seperate but related note there's also uranium based orange glaze on
    some 30s pottery thats hiddeously radioactive, pretty much any deep
    red/orange glazing.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Spectre on Sat Jul 6 08:34:16 2024
    Spectre wrote to Avon <=-

You need to be a bit careful with that stuff. A lot of it is pretty
    low level, but some of it is pretty radioactive. She got you running around with the black light torch yet? I don't know any way to tell
    the more from less radioactive pieces.

She might need one of these: https://www.jameco.com/z/483-Adafruit-Industries-Geiger-Counter-Kit-Radiation-Sensor_2501687.html

On a seperate but related note there's also uranium based orange glaze
    on some 30s pottery thats hiddeously radioactive, pretty much any deep red/orange glazing.

Surprisingly, they still sell these new. But they make it clear that you should **never** eat off them. Decoration only.

... A wife lasts as long as a marriage, an ex-wife for ever.
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun Jul 7 14:16:40 2024
    On 06 Jul 2024 at 07:21p, Spectre pondered and said...

You need to be a bit careful with that stuff. A lot of it is pretty low level, but some of it is pretty radioactive. She got you running around with the black light torch yet? I don't know any way to tell the more from less radioactive pieces.

Yes to the torch light, but it's her doing that not me. I'm just the guy that drives between shops :)

Yes I was wondering about the radioactive nature of a bunch of it together. I wonder if I should find Geiger counter as a Christmas gift? ;-)

On a seperate but related note there's also uranium based orange glaze on some 30s pottery thats hiddeously radioactive, pretty much any deep red/orange glazing.

I think she may have one already... from what I can tell there's different types of UV light needed to shine on things to test if they contain X,Y,Z ?

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Dr. What on Sun Jul 7 14:26:10 2024
    On 06 Jul 2024 at 08:34a, Dr. What pondered and said...

Spectre wrote to Avon <=-

You need to be a bit careful with that stuff. A lot of it is pretty low level, but some of it is pretty radioactive. She got you running around with the black light torch yet? I don't know any way to tell the more from less radioactive pieces.

She might need one of these:

Thanks for the link :)

I'll pass it along to her.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Mon Jul 8 01:52:00 2024
    I don't know any way to tell the more from less radioactive pieces.

I wonder if I should find Geiger counter as a Christmas gift? ;-)

I think she may have one already... from what I can tell there's different types of UV light needed to shine on things to test if they contain X,Y,Z ?

The geiger counter might be more useful than tongue in cheek. I'm not aware
    of any significant difference in wavelength of UV producing different fluorescence in the materials. All the examples I've seen with UV just highlight that the stuff is reactive, not how radioactive it is.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Avon on Sun Jul 7 17:25:49 2024
    Earlier I was out with my wife and she's into op shopping so I drove around a bunch of second hand shops while she was hunting out some
    uranium glass.. it's stuff that glows under UV light that she's into at the moment.

So, I happen to be very near Corning, NY and the Corning Museum of Glass. I actually worked there once upon a lifetime ago as a preparator. (we made and maintained the exhibits)
    If there comes a burning glass inquiry please do drop a line and I'll have a look into it.

best 73,

N2QFD

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to n2qfd on Mon Jul 8 17:25:31 2024
    On 07 Jul 2024 at 05:25p, n2qfd pondered and said...

So, I happen to be very near Corning, NY and the Corning Museum of Glass. I actually worked there once upon a lifetime ago as a preparator. (we made and maintained the exhibits)
    If there comes a burning glass inquiry please do drop a line and I'll have a look into it.

thanks will be sure to do this :)

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to N2qfd on Sun Jul 7 23:15:02 2024
    So, I happen to be very near Corning, NY and the
    Corning Museum of Glass. I actually worked there once
    upon a lifetime ago as a preparator. (we made and maintained the exhibits)

All this time I thought you were the PERPETRATOR!

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to Avon on Thu Jul 11 00:37:05 2024
    Figured I'd post a 'hello' here as I've been a little quiet lately in my posting efforts but do keep an eye on the echos and still busy with
    fsxNet admin duties etc.
    thats okay! <3
    ..and a general thanks to you for reading / taking the time to post in fsxNet. It's always nice to read echomail from around the planet and see who's up to what etc.

yeah same! <3
    The recent food thread was massive, much like the lunch I had <-- bad
    Dad joke :)

lol

you be save and stay warm Avon!

--mary4 (Victoria Crenshaw) the 286 enthusiast

... This virus requires Microsoft Windows 3.x

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Datanet BBS | telnet://datanetbbs.net:23 (21:1/166)