• BBS migration

From klunk@21:1/124 to All on Wed Jun 26 22:18:12 2024
    Hi all,
    random question, is it possible to migrate from windows to linux version and retain the filebase etc? I.e. if I move the file base config / index files and obviously the files themselves. I know I can re request echomail to a certain point. Or will it be a clean install and a pain in the neck reinstall of the filebase?

Klunk

... A penny saved is not very much

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Who Dares Wins Amiga BBS (21:1/124)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to klunk on Wed Jun 26 19:02:32 2024
    Hi all,
    random question, is it possible to migrate from windows to linux version and retain the filebase etc? I.e. if I move the file base config / index files and obviously the files themselves. I know I can re request
    echomail to a certain point. Or will it be a clean install and a pain in the neck reinstall of the filebase?

Klunk

I'm in the process of switching from windows to ubuntu myself. The biggest issue is finding all of the directory path references and switching them from windows to linux nomenclature. I've got one I still can't find!

As to the file bases, when you copy everything to linux, you'll need to change the file base directory paths using "./mystic -cfg" Same for the message bases. The data/files will be there.

Good luck!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    altairiv.ddns.net:2323

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to klunk on Wed Jun 26 20:04:41 2024
    On 26 Jun 2024, klunk said the following...

Hi all,
    random question, is it possible to migrate from windows to linux version and retain the filebase etc? I.e. if I move the file base config / index files and obviously the files themselves. I know I can re request
    echomail to a certain point. Or will it be a clean install and a pain in the neck reinstall of the filebase?

Klunk

Absolutely, I did it myself a couple of years ago, you will have to go into each filebase in ./mystic -cfg and change the path for each base to the new path more then likely something like C:\filebase to /filebase I was able to keep everything with no issues. My suggestion is do a test run create a VM and copy all of your folders over to the new Linux VM, and go through each option in config and make sure all paths are set to the new paths, then do a login and test everything. If all works fine, then do your main system conversion... Once I got past some permissions issues everything has been fine...

Hope that helps a bit..

AL

... Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to ogg on Wed Jun 26 20:05:37 2024
    On 26 Jun 2024, ogg said the following...

I'm in the process of switching from windows to ubuntu myself. The biggest issue is finding all of the directory path references and switching them from windows to linux nomenclature. I've got one I still can't find!

Which path are you still looking for?

... There is an exception to every rule, except this one.

• From ogg@21:2/147 to Bucko on Wed Jun 26 19:50:33 2024
    Which path are you still looking for?

It's very early in the connection/login process. I've looked into everything I can think of with no luck. I've taken a couple of days off to "get away" from the problem!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to ogg on Thu Jun 27 19:13:36 2024

It's very early in the connection/login process. I've looked into everything I can think of with no luck. I've taken a couple of days off to "get away" from the problem!

Since it is in the login process, I would look at the prelogin.mnu in the config set up. You might be calling an MPL file with the wrong directory, OR an MPL in that routine is calling a data file or something with a WIndows Directory instead of Linux.

Al

... One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

• From ogg@21:2/147 to Bucko on Thu Jun 27 19:28:51 2024
    Since it is in the login process, I would look at the prelogin.mnu in the config set up. You might be calling an MPL file with the wrong
    directory, OR an MPL in that routine is calling a data file or something with a WIndows Directory instead of Linux.

Al
    Thanks for the suggestion but I've been all over that area and couldn't find a thing. But since you've brought it up, I'll check again, it won't hurt. My eyes are going cross eyed and it may be time to put it to bed for the day!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to ogg on Sat Jun 29 07:41:29 2024
    On 27 Jun 2024, ogg said the following...
    Thanks for the suggestion but I've been all over that area and couldn't find a thing. But since you've brought it up, I'll check again, it
    won't hurt. My eyes are going cross eyed and it may be time to put it
    to bed for the day!

No problem, I know how you feel with being cross eyed! I was working on a program for my C64 Image BBS and I went back and forth with a error I was getting for hours!! I couldn't figure it out at all. I was ready to just delete the files and give up. Then I saw it, I put a , (Comma) instead of a . (Period) in the line in question! LOL

Good luck..

AL

... What was the best thing before sliced bread?

• From ogg@21:2/147 to Bucko on Thu Jul 4 15:22:36 2024

It's very early in the connection/login process. I've looked into everything I can think of with no luck. I've taken a couple of days o

to "get away" from the problem!

Since it is in the login process, I would look at the prelogin.mnu in the config set up. You might be calling an MPL file with the wrong
    directory, OR an MPL in that routine is calling a data file or something with a WIndows Directory instead of Linux.

Al

Just an FYI that I "finally" got moved over to linux. The "error" that was giving me fits was in the "node" configuration. There's a filebox setting
    that I had set up in the windows version but ultimately discarded. Only the windows backslash was kept. Apparently, even though I wasn't using it, the setting was set to the wrong backslash. Just by deleting the wrong one, the correct backslash was automatically inserted. Once I figured it out, everything started right up.

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... A Mystic asking for a hot-dog: "Make me one with everything"

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Linux/64)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to ogg on Thu Jul 4 21:10:41 2024
    On 04 Jul 2024, ogg said the following...
    Just an FYI that I "finally" got moved over to linux. The "error" that was giving me fits was in the "node" configuration. There's a filebox setting that I had set up in the windows version but ultimately
    discarded. Only the windows backslash was kept. Apparently, even though
    I wasn't using it, the setting was set to the wrong backslash. Just by deleting the wrong one, the correct backslash was automatically
    inserted. Once I figured it out, everything started right up.

Glad you got it going.. It's always something like that.. Sheesh!! LOL

Al

... Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things