• Auto created echo areas.

From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-kwc-this to All on Tue May 19 04:59:03 2020
    From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

Can somebody remind me what needs to be set for an unknown echoarea to be autocreated when a message for the area arrives from the designated hub?

I have in echocfg:
    * Echolist configured with an NA file, and a required key "X"
    Must the unknown echoarea be listed in the NA file?

* Linked Node configured with "Uplink for Message Groups" set to the MSG group short name
    I also have the Echolist keys set to the key above (eg: "X")

When I rename a bad packet to pkt, and run SBBSecho, I still get:

Importing /opt/sbbs/fido/inbound/09521cd8.pkt (Type 2e, 0.7KB) from <hub AKA> to <my AKA>
    <ECHOAREA>: (Unknown) local-badarea <ECHOAREA>: Security violation - <hub AKA> not in Area File
    Security Violation (Not in ../data/areas.bbs)
    Bad packet detected: /opt/sbbs/fido/inbound/09521cd8.pkt

What else is missing?
    ...ëîå*

... Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
    * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From mark lewis@mark.lewis@1:3634/12.remove-4zp-this to alterego on Mon May 18 15:09:07 2020

To: alterego
    Re: Auto created echo areas.
    By: alterego to All on Mon May 18 2020 21:59:03

alterego> Security Violation (Not in ../data/areas.bbs)

that tells you exactly what the problem is... the system sending you that packet is not listed in your areas.bbs file for at least one area inside the packet... so add that system's address to your areas.bbs file for the echo area involved...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-4zp-this to mark lewis on Tue May 19 06:04:25 2020

To: mark lewis
    By: mark lewis to alterego on Mon May 18 2020 08:09 am

the packet... so add that system's address to your areas.bbs file for the echo area involved...

So are you saying that the areas.bbs file needs to be populated with all areas?
    I thought the auto create capability, automatically added new areas from a hub, which in theory never existed (and are newly created) and thus would never have been in the areas.bbs file?

I thought SBBS could auto create areas - but perhaps I am thinking of something else?
    ...ëîå*

... Woman is one of nature's more agreeable blunders.

---
  • From Rampage@rampage@SESTAR.remove-nc1-this to alterego on Mon May 18 17:28:55 2020

By: alterego to mark lewis on Mon May 18 2020 23:04:25

the packet... so add that system's address to your areas.bbs file for the echo area involved...

alterego> So are you saying that the areas.bbs file needs to be populated
    alterego> with all areas?

no... i was responding directly to the error which said the system wasn't in that area's list of addresses...

alterego> I thought the auto create capability, automatically added new
    alterego> areas from a hub, which in theory never existed (and are newly
    alterego> created) and thus would never have been in the areas.bbs file?

this is true...

alterego> I thought SBBS could auto create areas - but perhaps I am
    alterego> thinking of something else?

no, you're correct... i don't recall the exact steps, though... but this wiki section should help...

http://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho#echolist

since my system is a star hub, i already have pertty much all areas configured... occasionally, i'll get a node sending me echomail for an area they are not configured for... when that happens i see that message or a similar one that you see... i simply go into my areas.bbs file and add their address to the echo's entry, rename the packet, and let the tosser handle it on the next run...

there are times that i also get packets with echos that are not in my configs... when this happens, they're added to the badareas.lst file... when i look and see this, i create the area in scfg in the proper group where i want that area placed... the next time sbbsecho runs, it sees the area in the message area configs and adds it to the areas.bbs list and off we go...

i think, but am not sure, there is a totally complete way of doing this where you don't have to manually create the area in scfg but i don't use it because my system is meshed with others so i don't have any one specific uplink for my areas... i have two or more... so i use my method above...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-hwr-this to alterego on Mon May 18 20:16:31 2020

By: alterego to All on Mon May 18 2020 09:59 pm

Can somebody remind me what needs to be set for an unknown echoarea to be autocreated when a message for the area arrives from the designated hub?

I have in echocfg:
    * Echolist configured with an NA file, and a required key "X"
    Must the unknown echoarea be listed in the NA file?

* Linked Node configured with "Uplink for Message Groups" set to the MSG group short name
    I also have the Echolist keys set to the key above (eg: "X")

When I rename a bad packet to pkt, and run SBBSecho, I still get:

Importing /opt/sbbs/fido/inbound/09521cd8.pkt (Type 2e, 0.7KB) from <hub
    to <my AKA>
    <ECHOAREA>: (Unknown) local-badarea <ECHOAREA>: Security violation - <hub AKA> not in Area File
    Security Violation (Not in ../data/areas.bbs)
    Bad packet detected: /opt/sbbs/fido/inbound/09521cd8.pkt

What else is missing?

SBBSecho should be creating data/badareas.lst. You can import this file (badareas.lst) or data/echostats.ini into a message group using SCFG command-line (-import option). This can be made an automated process if you like (e.g. via timed event).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #39:
    Synchronet first supported Windows NT v6.x (a.k.a. Vista/Win7) w/v3.14a (2006). Norco, CA WX: 65.8øF, 84.0% humidity, 12 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-a-this to Digital Man on Tue May 19 15:45:40 2020

To: Digital Man
    By: Digital Man to alterego on Mon May 18 2020 01:16 pm

SBBSecho should be creating data/badareas.lst. You can import this file (badareas.lst) or data/echostats.ini into a message group using SCFG command-line (-import option). This can be made an automated process if you like (e.g. via timed event).

Hmmm... OK. I really thought that when you configured a "hub" a specific way, any echoarea that they sent you, that didnt exist in scfg would be auto-created? (This is what I was trying to get to.) Is this not possible?

I am aware of the manual ways of creating the echoareas - but was hoping that when a specific node sent a message for a new area, that I didnt need to do this.
    ...ëîå*

... The word 'meaningful' when used today is nearly always meaningless.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-490-this to alterego on Tue May 19 00:48:38 2020

By: alterego to Digital Man on Tue May 19 2020 08:45 am

By: Digital Man to alterego on Mon May 18 2020 01:16 pm

Hmmm... OK. I really thought that when you configured a "hub" a specific way, any echoarea that they sent you, that didnt exist in scfg would be auto-created? (This is what I was trying to get to.) Is this not possible?

SBBSecho cannot create message areas in SBBS, but SCFG can.

I am aware of the manual ways of creating the echoareas - but was hoping that when a specific node sent a message for a new area, that I didnt need to do this.

Yes, you can automate that by using the scfg -import option I mentioned above.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #13:
    CGA = Color Graphics Adapter (IBM)
    Norco, CA WX: 64.6øF, 75.0% humidity, 0 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- Synchronet 3.18a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
  • From alterego@alterego@ALTERANT.remove-3ku-this to Digital Man on Tue May 19 19:16:00 2020

To: Digital Man
    By: Digital Man to alterego on Mon May 18 2020 05:48 pm

OK.

<confused>

Can you tell me the purpose of "Uplink for Message Groups" setting is for
    then in echocfg (Linked Nodes)?

The help text says "... automatically link with new areas ... are auto-added to the Area File."

How would I use that feature to auto-add areas to the area file and link the hub?
    ...ëîå*

... Take what you can use and let the rest go by.

---
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-rn7-this to alterego on Tue May 19 05:11:58 2020

By: alterego to Digital Man on Tue May 19 2020 12:16 pm

By: Digital Man to alterego on Mon May 18 2020 05:48 pm

OK.

<confused>

Can you tell me the purpose of "Uplink for Message Groups" setting is for then in echocfg (Linked Nodes)?

It's associated a hub with a specific message group in SCFG->Message Areas.

The help text says "... automatically link with new areas ... are auto-added to the Area File."

How would I use that feature to auto-add areas to the area file and link the hub?

Yup. So you don't have to add the areas to your area file (e.g. areas.bbs). Just adding an area (e.g. by importing badareas.lst) into SCFG will automatically link your hub with those areas added to the relevant group.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #56:
    PETSCII = PET Standard Code of Information Interchange (a.k.a. CBM ASCII) Norco, CA WX: 58.2øF, 81.0% humidity, 3 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
  • From Rampage@rampage@SESTAR.remove-3i3-this to alterego on Tue May 19 12:26:51 2020

By: alterego to Digital Man on Tue May 19 2020 12:16:00

alterego> The help text says "... automatically link with new areas ...
    alterego> are auto-added to the Area File."

the area file is areas.bbs... not the data file used to store the config data for the bbs...

AIUI, if an area is listed in areas.bbs and it is not configured in scfg, then the area is a passthrough area... that means the messages come in from your uplink, get passed to your downlinks connected to the area, and are not tossed into your local message areas... i'm not sure, though, what is used to fill the slot in areas.bbs where the internal code would be listed... i don't think the wiki gives an example of those two types of entries in areas.bbs...

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@poindexter.fortran@REALITY.remove-gtz-this to Rampage on Tue May 19 14:44:00 2020

To: Rampage
    Rampage wrote to alterego <=-

area, and are not tossed into your local message areas... i'm not sure, though, what is used to fill the slot in areas.bbs where the internal
    code would be listed...

There's a "P" in the first column of passthrough areas.

... Take away the important parts
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Digital Man@digital.man@vert.synchro.net.remove-eh6-this to Rampage on Tue May 19 20:46:39 2020

To: Rampage
    By: Rampage to alterego on Tue May 19 2020 05:26 am

By: alterego to Digital Man on Tue May 19 2020 12:16:00

alterego> The help text says "... automatically link with new areas ...
    alterego> are auto-added to the Area File."

the area file is areas.bbs... not the data file used to store the config data for the bbs...

AIUI, if an area is listed in areas.bbs and it is not configured in scfg, then the area is a passthrough area... that means the messages come in from your uplink, get passed to your downlinks connected to the area, and are not tossed into your local message areas...

Correct.

i'm not sure, though, what is used
    to fill the slot in areas.bbs where the internal code would be listed...

"P" for pass-through.

i
    don't think the wiki gives an example of those two types of entries in areas.bbs...

It does. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #24:
    David St. Hubbins: You're a haughty one, saucy Jack.
    Norco, CA WX: 68.9øF, 43.0% humidity, 2 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs